Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The heart of New York

I met a man tonight by the name of Michael. He walked down the street past me as I was sitting outside. He looked at me and made eye contact and I returned the gesture. His eyes immediataly asked the question "friend or foe"? I felt a sense of apprehension because I could see that he was obviously drunk and I did not want to expose myself to the discomfort of relating to him. I remembered something that I had learned recently that with all insane people, sanity is sometimes achieved by relating with that person and giving them a chance. I knew he was lonely and was looking to have a connection with someone tonight. I suppose I was to. So I opened myself to this person. I could see in his eyes that he had the capability of being very violent, but that he also had a gentle side. He was a defenite New Yorker. Hardened by the streets and disenchanted by all the alcohol and violence that he had obviously experienced in his life. We decided to go get a beer at the pub down the street. Along the way we chit chatted and became more and more comfortable around each other. I think he realized that he did not have to be afraid around me. I said to him after noticing "You walk around with your fists clenched". He said "when you see me open my hands you know there is trouble, when my fist are clenched its ok". "Have you ever had your jaw broken?" he asked in what seemed like a half threatening tone. I said no. Still having fear come up inside me that this man could be violent with me at any time. Then he proceded to show me how his jaw was misshaped. I did not go into the story at all. I asked if he had grown up here. He said "yes, these are my stomping grounds". I asked him, "Where were you when the towers came down" He said I was there. I asked "how do you feel about that?". He said "what can you do? you just start sweeping up". He then pounded on his chest with his fists and said "I was the one who got it done." His eyes said "you are in the presence of a hero" I sincerely enjoyed his company, despite the fact he seemingly had a violent upbringing and plenty of alcohol on top of that. But the more I acknowledged him and talked to him sincerely, the more sane and articulate he became. The easy and predictable thing to do would be to run away from this character. I have done this plenty of times in my life- scared of insanity But instead, I realized that sanity has a lot more to do with how we are treated by others than the circumstances in our life. cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you Suggest?